Prospective Students Admission Requirements
Freshman Entry Admission Requirements
Freshman applicants must meet the general entrance requirements of the University as stated in the Office of Admissions section of the University Bulletin and on the Office of Admissions website. The Office of Admissions will begin accepting applications September 1, 2017. The priority deadline for freshman applications for the 2018-2019 academic year is November 15, 2017.
- All entering nursing freshmen must complete a high school or college level chemistry course prior to enrolling in BIO 205.
- All entering nursing freshmen with a recentered verbal SAT score is 0 to 530 or whose ACT score is 0 to 22, must enroll in ENG 107 in addition to other core requirements.
Progression into the SON upper division major is based on the following criteria:
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above by end of sophomore year.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above in the required sciences that are taken at the University of Portland by end of sophomore year. Any 4-year student wishing to transfer a science class from another institution first needs the permission of the associate dean for baccalaureate education and must earn a grade of B or better in that course. Grades of C- or lower in any required science course or pass/no pass are not allowed.
- A grade of C or better in NRS 101, NRS 202 and NRS 203.
- Completion of all prerequisite coursework. Students may only repeat BIO 205: Foundations of Biology if they receive a C- or lower in the course per University of Portland academic regulations.
- Students may only repeat one upper division science course one time, and only if they receive a grade of C- or lower, per University of Portland academic regulations or with permission of the associate dean for baccalaureate education.
- Satisfactory completion of all clinical entry requirements, including required drug screen and immunizations.
See University academic regulations in the University Bulletin.
Additional Progression Information
Admitted freshmen students who have transfer credits will be considered for early placement into upper division nursing courses at the discretion of the School of Nursing. Student conduct issues will be taken into account for progression into upper division. Students who have been suspended from the University risk dismissal from the School of Nursing.
Transfer Entry Admission Requirements (Internal and External)
The Office of Admissions will begin accepting transfer student applications for spring semester 2019 entry September 1, 2017. Applications are due February 1, 2018. Students apply to the University of Portland and the School of Nursing with one application. All application documents must be received on or postmarked by the deadline. Transfer students are accepted into the spring semester (January start),
Admittance into the upper division nursing coursework for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree is dependent upon the following:
A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.*
A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above in the required sciences.*
Completion of all prerequisite courses. Lower division credit may be taken at any accredited college or university.
All prerequisite courses must be graded with a C or higher. Pass/No Pass is not accepted for prerequisites.
Computer experience/literacy (ability to use a PC for word processing, e-mail, and access to the Internet) is required.
Transfer students' GPA for admission to upper division nursing courses is computed from all transcripts submitted for review.
*Transfer student admission to the upper division is very competitive with average GPAs significantly higher than the requirement.
The School of Nursing supports the University's non-discrimination statement.